Well, this may be a heavy topic to start off with after not writing for over a month but it is on my heart so I want to let it go.
Today was a different day for me at my internship. I was pushed to a limit I was not aware that I could handle and put in a situation I was unfamiliar with. This is not about how my limits were pushed but rather how my client took a huge and fearful step with my support and her friend's support.
She is my age had been through unbearable situation that I can never imagine so I did not claim to understand. My role was to be her personal cheerleader, a non-judgemental individual, and another person that believed her. During the process, I spoke maybe 100 words in an hour, but I sat with her, mostly in silence, but I was worth her. My words were of encouragement and to give her strength.
Many times individuals just need you to sit with them. Not to understand or pretend to know what they are going through but to sit with them. Most of the time people are not looking for answers but for someone to listen, to listen in silence and to silence with non-judgemental ears.
After a day like that, all I need is someone to say "That sounds like a tough situation... I am proud of ya!" (which is what a friend of mine told me after I told him the story).
Even a Social Worker needs a cheerleader in her corner and some validation!

1 comment:
I never doubted your ability to be the best social worker around!!
And for you to say less than 100 words in any length of time is quite an accomplishment in itself!! hehe!
You know I will always be your BIGGEST FAN!! xoxox
Post a Comment