Saturday, July 17, 2010

"I Feel A Live Today"

The other day, we took our 10-14 year old students to a Nursing Home in Dominica. It was a unique experience for the children but a well received activity. For the older students I am trying to add in community service a long with camp activities. When we went to the Nursing Home all of the residents were outside. The girls spilt up into two groups and made bracelets with some of the female residents while the boys went and played Domino with one of the men.

As I was leaving one of the women who had hung out with three girls grab my hand and said "I Feel A Live Today!" At the moment, it was worth it, the world made sense, my hard work, my planning, my follow-ups, it was worth it for this complete stranger to feel a live again.

I know I am always going back to this, but it hold truth. It is the little things. These girls spent 45 mins of their day, making beaded jewel. They were chatting, they were giggling, they were sharing. It was a moment that touched this older women's heart. Nothing big, no long story, just three girls sitting with one older individual who may never get any visitors, making some bracelets!

How many hearts could YOU touch in 45mins?

1 comment:

gjmj4 said...

Hopefully the girls realized what a difference they made in this elder's life as well!!! What a wonderful feeling that most have been.