I previously mentioned when I tell individuals I am going to the Peace Corps, the follow-up question is usually, "What are you going to do when you get back?" I understand it is a very natural question but the question bothers me slightly.
I was having a conversation with a close friend of mine about this whole topic. The topic of living so much in the future that we forget what is happening in the present. The idea of not being present because individuals want more, hope for something different, or want to find happiness instead of looking at what they have at the present time.
For me, it would be unfair for the individuals I am serving in the Peace Corps to be so far in my own head and my next steps that I cannot even realize what is happening around me. It would not be beneficial for me or my growth if I do not take in every minute, every moment, every experience (good or bad), and every lesson. To do my best work for those 6 months, to make the most change I must be present and be completely in the situation.
Most of us live in such a fast pace society that we forget how a simple smile to a stranger can change their day, how important it is to actually talk to friends and family instead of texting, e-mails, etc, and the power of a taking time to enjoy the little wonders all around us. The moments of little wonders will not come back, little ones grow, memories are sometimes forgotten, and moments are lost. Yes, I do understand that we must be concerned with our future but it should not take over ours lives to the point of not realizing the marvelous life we are living at that moment.
For the next 6 months I will make this promise not only to my myself but to the individuals I will work with in Antigua and my friends and family in the States.
I will live in the present, staying in the now. I will stay focused on the task at hand, the goals I have set with my agency, and the personal goals I want to achieve. I will continue to look up and marvel at the star filled sky, I will watch the sun set, I will find the sea when I need a minute, I will take time to sit on a bench and share a story. I will laugh whenever possible, share a cup of coffee, hug a child, listen to a victim, and continue to stand up for what I believe in. When the time comes a couples months before I leave, I will take moments out of my day to research, apply, and hopefully interview for careers.
I will live in the present and found joyful beauty in every day!

No comments:
Post a Comment