Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pride and Peace

As most of you know, I do a reading program once a month with Grade 5 Students and Pre-K students and today was special, it had a unique vibe to it.

I walked up to the Pre-School with my 9 Grade 5 students and what awaited us was priceless. It was the Pre-K students in their groups of three sitting quickly ready to read. As I organized my Grade 5 students even more Pre-K students came to listen to the stories. At the end their was 9 Groups of 3 Students all listening and reading! Once I got all the students organized the reading began and I took an amount to look and take in the moment that was happening. Their was a sense of accomplishment, a sense of peace I felt while I over looked the readers.

Every time it amazes me to see how confident the Grade 5 students have become. They ask question, they interact, and they read with excitement in their voices. They have grown as students, they are role models for their younger reader, and they have matured. Naturally, I claim all students as mine and these students are no expectations. The program started as something I ‘had’ to do for the Peace Corps but now it is an program students look forward to, they ask me if they are reading when I meet them on the street, and they get vexed with me when I do not pick them to read! I am proud of my Grade 5 students and the leadership they demonstrate, if they only knew how proud I am of them! How amazing they truly are!

1 comment:

gjmj4 said...

that is quite an accomplishment in such a short time. WAY to GO!!! the sky is the limit.