Beside the Volleyball Camp my afternoons were filled with an amazing MESS of glue, gittler, markers, goggle eyes, and everything inbetween!
The Libary had requested a Peace Corps volunteer to assist in the Libary Camp they were having. It is in the capital city so I thought what a great time that would be! Man did I sure have fun and meet some simply precious and amazing students. By the end of the week there was about 30 students there! For the most part they were very good and well-mannered while other times not so much! With children you roll with the punches and don't forget to smile!
Anyways... all of the crafts were Christmas related then we had a little party at the end where we decorated cookies and ate some cupcakes and other sweets. I sent those students home on a sugar rush! It was a great way to tell the students about Christmas in Michigan, and SNOW, and the fun we have in Snow, and how Christmas is just a little different then I am use to! I truly enjoy to ask the students at the end of the week what they liked best because their answers always seem to amaze me by their simple but pure responses.
My mini success story has nothing to do with Arts and Crafts but rather a mini change in character! For the whole week, I did my best to install 'Please, Thank You, and May I' as I lead by example! I find it to be extremely important for children to learn and use those words. Everytime if a student wanted to use something I would have them say a 'good' sentance for them to get the item and I would make sure I rewarded them. One of the older boys, he was about 14 or so and a riot but had a little sass to him! On Thursday, the last day of camp, he was helping to clean up and moving a table. The table had students art projects on it and he said to the group, 'If any of you have crafts on the table can you PLEASE move them!' My heart melted as he said that! I told him how proud I was of him! SUCESS!
No comments:
Post a Comment