A year a go today I returned from the Peace Corps. In this year, I have had a lot of time to ponder about my experience and how I have changed as a lady. I thought it would be fun to write a letter to my 'Peace Corps Experience'
My Dearest Peace Corps Experience!
We spent two amazing years together where a lot of it was a love hate relationship. Through those two years, you taught me so very much. You taught me the power of family near and far. You taught me how important a man hug was and brought two men in my life that provided "Michelle with a Man Hug.' You showed me how the sea can heal all things including sore muscles, a broken soul, and a restless mind. You enlightened me how selfless individuals can be in many different situations. My dearest Peace Corps, you taught me how to feel. Feel all of those nasty and negative emotions I was running from. You taught me that breaking down was OK and through those experiences I have become strong. You gave me four individuals who have served as my rock, my ear, my joy, and my life. For they will forever have a special place in my heart and will understand me unlike anyone else.
My Dearest Peace Corps, I hated you during the moments you made me be with me. You forced me to sit with me and truly look at all of my nasty qualities I have and need to continue to work with. During a low time in my experience, you brought 3 men into my life who had a love for Dominica that set my soul on fire. My dearest Peace Corps, you gave me another Best Friend. For our friendship started on a bench and the love for maps (her love, not mine!) and will end with sharing stories with our grandchildren about Dominica. My dearest Peace Corps, you gave me the Garaway Hotel and two lovely ladies I could ALWAYS count on to meet me there and share in a moment of breathing.
But most of all my dearest Peace Corps, you healed me. You healed my soul and gave me an outlook on life that nobody can take away from me. You healed my anxiety causing stomachaches and gave me the ability to role with any situation that may come my way. I am now always prepared with a Plan A, Plan B, and half of a Plan C. For some reason because of you I do better in situations where I am recovery from a hiccup then when I am fully prepared. My Dearest Peace Corps, you have given me another family and experiences nobody can take away from me. Many times I wanted to give up on you but My Dearest Peace Corps Thank You for pushing me to limits I did not know I could handle, endlessly showing me what pure joy was and making my soul smile!
Love Always
Meesh!

No comments:
Post a Comment