I am a social worker and I am a Peace Corps Volunteer. At times, these two career choices are extremely difficult to 'measure success.' For many of my projects, I cannot always measure the outcomes or know if the training I gave a group of individuals made a difference down the road. Of course, a pre and post test will be given which usually measures level of education not change in behavior. I do not have spread sheets that show improvement of individuals or numbers showing how much profit my company has made.
Rather, I must look at success in another fashion. In the fashion of awareness, education, and follow-up. Success for me is not solely about numbers but rather the intensity of the impact I can make on a group of individuals. Success for me is measured by implementing new and creative ideals to talk about sensitive topics of sexual assault, sexual health care, domestic violence, LGBT concerns, and daily struggles people face that would not be talked about around the dinner table. Success for me is about the lives I touch by listening to their hardship and holding onto their pain even if it is just for a moment. Success is when I see one of my clients who I have worked with and they are now living a productive life free of violence, addictions, and now contains some sort of stability.
I know I will have a successful future that will be above and beyond any expectations I may have. Even without concrete numbers for every activity, I know I will look back on my life and realize I have made an impact. I will realize my life is better for the careers I have had Also, the individuals I am working with are better off because of the support, tools, and encouragement I gave them. Some days, when I am feeling like I am not impacting individuals, more numbers to measure success would be nice. I am in the helping and people professions and sometimes numbers just cannot be developed!

No comments:
Post a Comment