Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nature Island

First View of Dominica from the Plane

While serving as a two year volunteer, Dominica and I spent much of our time in a love hate relationship. Working in compared to visiting a country is two totally different things.  About a week ago I went to Dominica to visit for 6 days.  I went during the Independence Season and was able to attend Creole in the Park 3 of the 4 days. You will hear more about Creole in the Park in the next few weeks!


This visit was exactly what I needed. The cool crisp air was refreshing, the lush greens were breathtaking, and the memories the trip brought back warmed my soul. For me, Dominica makes sense, Dominica is Home.  It was great to hear individual tell me, ‘Welcome Home!’ or ‘You know enough people you can lime (go out) by yourself!’  I have a connection to the people and the country.

As discussed in a previous blog, it is hard for me to measure success.  After this trip, I have realized, I have made an impact on the individuals I worked with.  The individual I saw were just as excited to see me as I was to see them.  The school children reminded me of activities we did and many asked when I was coming back.  I did not build a library, there is not a painting I did in a school, and only one of my projects is still functioning.  With that being said, I made an impact on the people of Dominica as they helped me to grow as an individual. I planted lasted seeds of growth and memories in them.



For the next few weeks, I will post some pictures and explain what I did each day! I hope I am able to paint you a picture of how beautiful my ‘untouched’ Dominica is. 

No comments: