Last week was the first week of School for most Students in Dominica. The streets of town were filled with School Uniforms, Students Running Around, and a little more Joy. I did not got to School the first week of school figuring it would be just a little too busy and hectic and I would just add another wrinkle into the mix. At the end of the week, I checked my principle to get my 'Plan of Attack' organized! Monday, I presented my ideals to the teachers in an all teacher meeting!
Michelle's Plan of Attack
1. Doing small group tutor (Groups of 3) with Grades K-4 mostly working on Literacy, Reading, Recognizing Numbers and Letters, and of course having a little fun a long the way!
2. The Arts Program Leader for the 4-H after school program. My 'Island Mom' is the leader of the 4-H Club throughout the Island but I will be working directly with one of the Primary School's Teacher for the program. 4-H focus a lot of agriculture, planting gardens, planting flowers, and local crafts!
3. Big Readers, Little Listeners is back in FULL Swing! The minute I got to school my old Grade 4 students who now think they are GROWN because they are in Grade 5, were asking about when they were going to read and all of that good stuff! So next week I will get that going!
4. A little counseling with the students who are just struggling a little with behavioral, school, etc. Also, working with the Students. Using those Social Work Skills I worked so hard for! :o)
Today marked the FIRST day of School for me! I write this with a smile on my face and just a little more Joy in my Soul! From the bottom of my heart, I love going to the school and meeting with my little children! It is an amazing, up lifting experience to be walking up the hill knowing you will be greeted by children just running after you. The best way I can describe it is, when you go to pick a loved one up at the airport that you have not seen in awhile and the minute you see them your face lifts ups and you embrace them never wanting to let go. That is the feeling every Tuesday when I head to school! I am their long lost friend they have not seen in a Week but in their eyes it has been forever!
I joined my old Grade 4 teacher for the day until I got my tutor scheduling organized! I will be starting that next week. When I arrived they were working on Maths (First thing in the Morning- YUCK!). I noticed that everyone was almost done expect for one of the students. I asked him if he need help and he just looked at me. As I grab my chair, it was me and him, trying to make sense out of place values. After a few minutes of him looking at me with confused eyes and me explaining things with more detail, his friend looked at me and was "He speak French!" That explains a lot, he understands English, it just took him a little longer, I sometime had to choose different words, and talk a little slower! Needless to say we rocked out those place values and finished the homework together! He was so proud of his completed work and with excitment he placed his Finished Maths on Miss desk!
Then there was another little Mister! He was also struggling with his Maths so I had him move over and again it was just me and him and the Place Values! We had to redo most of them so he could get them correct. With a little patience by me, he completed the work, understand, and had a look of accomplishment across his face!
Next was VPA! Visual Performing Art! The teacher asked me if I could teach it because I am creative! On the spot I did not have not any supplies with me expect for my mind that is filled with LOTS of Ideas! I was thinking and thinking, then I thought 'LET'S PLAY CHARADES!' We are acting, we are drawing, we are doing VPA! It was a RIOT to watch those children act out and draw different emotions, playing different sports (Yes I threw in some American Baseball!), and acting like a Mango Tree (One of My Favorites!)! None of the Children had played before so by the end of it they were out of their seats, in my face just yelling out different things in hopes they would get it correct! It was a trip... I was laughing right a long with them by the end of it!
I tell you all of this for two reason! One, I know you ALL love to hear about my daily advantages of Dominica and Life but Two, just to show and prove again life is about the little things! Today made my soul DANCE with Joy and Laughter! Those children do it to me every time! They help me get through rough days and make being on the island worth wild! To be honest, when I came to Dominica, I thought I would make a BIG, life long changes! Yes, that is still in the back of my head, but there is more to life then that! There are the moments of laughing with your students unil you are almost in tears, the yelling of "Miss Miss" when you walk by the classroom! The times that the same Grade 4 student who are now Grade 5 gives you a pound because he is too cool and old to hug! One of my old Grade 4 Student's giving her new teacher some attitude, and me just giving her 'The Look' (Parents and Adults-Know what Look I am talking about), and her knowing she was out of line!
There is something about the power of children, it proves God has not given up on Man! We as society most value children, do not get me wrong, they can be stressors, have attitude, not listen, and talk far too much! We were all children once. There was also someone who honored our opinion, were proud of us when we accomplished greatest, even disciplined us when we pushed the envelope a little far. As adults, lets us be those individuals who support the next generation, let them bring the same joy into your live that you brought into someone else!
No comments:
Post a Comment