Wednesday, September 9, 2009

You can see me...

On Television and the Dominica News Online website!

This past Saturday, after about a Month of sometimes stressful planning, it was time to put on the Roseau City Council Award Ceremony. Let me back track just a little. When one of the Peace Corps left early and she placed me in charge with another PCV to help organize the Awards Ceremony. The Council has been planning the event since April but I just jumped on board about a Month ago when ALL of the last minute items need to get taken care of.

Example: On Thursday (2 Days) before the event the 26 Triumphs were still in the United States of America, that same Thursday there was a Tropical Storm so town did not have any power,it was a National Holiday, so the programs were not printed yet, and a last minute addition of a performer was added on Saturday Morning.

Needless to say like everything else, with a few little wrinkles in that day, it all worked out at the end. The Roseau City Council Awards Ceremony recognized several Dominicans who have contributed to the development of the city of Roseau.
The Friends of the city awards, the Environmental Award, the Community Involvement Award and the Mayor’s Award are the categories under which individuals and organizations will be awarded.

Becky (the other PCV) and Myself where the backstage 'Production Team.' Making last minute changes to the schedule, getting people moving and shaking through the awards, and getting water for the MC and Citation Reader! It will not be a career change, too much stress for this girl! :o) Anyways, at the end of the Ceremony the Major surprised Becky and I with a acknowledgement of Thanks and a little Plaque. Another surprise for me was when the Major announced to the WHOLE Crowd and the individuals watching/hearing it live on local radio and TV, that I would be staying in Dominica for the next five years! The crowd roared when they heard that! At the little "After Party," because the Mayor comment I had a few individuals ask me if I was not staying and I had to gently say, 'I am here for the next 2 years doing my service and we shall see what happens after that!'

No comments: