September 22, 2009
This Tuesday marked the first day of my tutor in the school. Backing up just a little, I go to the Primary School once a week for the full day. It is the same Primary School as I went to last year. This year is a little different. With the assistance of the teachers, I have developed a schedule for the students who are struggling with their Literacy and/or Maths. I meet with three students at a time for about 30 minutes once a week. The students range from Grade K to Grade 4.
Let me tell you, it was a BLAST! We did a lot of ‘Letter Fishing,’ with the younger students. I have A BUNCH of letters on BRIGHT NEON paper, and I put them all in the ‘Fish Bowl’ and then the children must recognize the letter and find it in the fish bowl. The Grade K students who I am working with cannot recognize their Alphabet, so that is my main goal with those students. The older students were making words with the letters. We did a lot of activities with the Neon letters.
The real treat was when I busted out the Spider Man Multiplication cards. Thank You very much Mama and Papa Fro. The students faces LITE up like the fourth of July. It always seems to make learning a little more fun when learning is on Spiderman flashcard. At the end, they asked to play it next week, I will have to make sure I walk with my Spiderman each time.
The first week was a great success. Each session ended with each student getting a star sticker for their collar. It is just the same things that make their faces light up, learning a little more fun, and joy running through their bleed.
My goal with the tutoring sessions is to teach these students in a fun and interesting manner. My goal is to raise their self-esteem and confidence when it comes to their education. Lastly but most importantly, my goal is to have a moment when I am working with a student and the light bulb comes on and it all make sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment