Thursday, October 22, 2009

Halloween!

A few people have asked about Halloween and if children in Dominica celebrate Halloween similar to as in the States. The simply answer is No! There are no haunted houses (even though there is an amazing house that would be PERFECT for a haunted house), craving pumpkins, dressing up or treat-n-tricking. From talking to a few individuals, both young and old, the main feeling I have received is, Halloween did not catch on like it did in the States. I have explained to many individuals what Halloween is all about in the United States of America and the different activities that children partake in during the Halloween season.

I was thinking about having a little Mini-Halloween party but this year, Halloween is the same week/weekend as our Independence Day time. It is a very busy week/weekend in Dominica. Independence Day is filled with Creole Music, Local Bands, French Music, gatherings in the Botanic Gardens, and a three day Music Festival which takes at the Stadium. On top of all of that Heritage Day (which is the Sunday before the Festival begins), is in my village this year. To add a Halloween party to the mix would be far too much in an already busy time of the year.

Do not worry Grandma! Those stickers will be used! I will use them in the school the Tuesday before Halloween and share with them some stories about Halloween and maybe even do some educational work based on Halloween!

No comments: