My Second Village
My
last day in Dominica, which was bittersweet but I would not have ended it in
another other way. I spent a lot of time
in my good friend’s village and her village became mine. I made it a point to go up to her village to
see everyone and send her well wishes.
Once again, it was nice to be greeted with smiles, hugs, and familiar
faces. My friend’s next door neighbor
made us lunch and I spent the afternoon with her daughter and a friend of
mine. A sweet moment happened over
lunch. After I thanked her for the
twelve time, she said, “No problem, you have treated my daughter like family!”
My heart melted right then!


While
in the village we went to see the waterfall and bathe in the hot sulfur
water. That moment was breathtaking and
refreshed the soul. Words cannot describe how peaceful it is to sit in a sulfur
bathe with lush green around you. One
cannot create that environment. Moments
like remind me to be grateful and thankful for the experiences I have had the
little island I have been able to call home.
1 comment:
Hi Michelle! My names is Abby, and I will be serving as a Youth Development volunteer in Dominica, departing for staging on January 23. Random quick question: What kind of shoes do you recommend bringing for work? PC says "low-heeled closed toed." I'm having trouble finding a pair that would be practical for walking in the rain and also meets the "no flip flops" rule. Any advice is appreciated!
Post a Comment