Yesterday was an amazing and interesting day to say the least. It was filled with First Time Events, Surprises, and Random Acts of Kindness
Let me break it down for you! The Morning started with me heading to the office just for me to leave moments later. The driver came by to pick me and the books up to bring them to the Primary School. Those books are the ones from ALL of YOU and also a program called Kiera’s Book Club. After I spent the afternoon in the office doing computer/paper work it was off to town to be a Post Women for the day! I had to delivery paperwork then I went and pick up the Peace Corps Mail. The office staff are at a week long training off island so I am in charge of the mailbox key for the week. A responsibility I am taking very seriously and it was great to put the cards and packages slips in the mailbox because I KNEW how much joy I was bringing to my fellow PCVs. I just got a bill but that is OK because my mailbox is filled with Joy A LOT!!
Anyways… on to more important things. Today was the first day of my practice. I am coaching High School girls (13-16) volleyball. It was a lot of fun today! There was a total of six girls but a few others said they will show up next week which I am excited about. There skill level is very low which was expected because volleyball is not as popular as it is in the United States of America. We kept it low key and easy today just working on passing and then ended the day with a Relay Race. We have a lot of work to do but I am excited and I hope the girls share my excitement.
Then after coaching practice it was time for me to go and play some Volleyball. Luckily as I was walking to the bus stop (running a little late) a fellow teammate of me yelled “Get in the Car!” Man was I Thankful for the ride because if not I would have been late (or should I say latER). Today, I was suppose to practice with the National Team. They had asked me to play on their team which I felt very honored about. The Coach was not there so me and the boys once again played! Then the coach showed up and my FIRST NATIONAL PRACTICE began! It was just three us so we did lots of setting and hitting so the women could get us to me. Now some of you may be wondering if I can play on the National Team not being a Dominica Citizen. I had the same question but the answer is Yes (Kinda). I can play in the Eastern Caribbean Tournament but WHEN we win that I do not think I can go on because I am not a Citizen and they start to check passports. Even to play in the first round would be amazing! The women practice twice a week so I am excited. It just feel normal, again Kinda, I am outside on a sport court playing volleyball until the sunset! The Coach is very knowledgeable and nice. We were chatting as he was driving me to town to get a bus and he ended up just taking me up all the way which I was very grateful for!
While I was playing volleyball I see these boys (when I say boys I would say between the age of 10-13). They were starting a fire but when I looked closely I saw they had a little set-up going on. They had two concrete bricks and two thick pieces of bigger bamboo. They one bamboo on each brick and the bamboo had a hole on each end. Then the boys put plastic/plastic cups in them and set the end of the bamboo on fire and plastic shot out of the other end. Basically it was a homemade Canon. Many of you made be thinking, that is really dangerous and yes you are correct. It was more dangerous for the boys then us. The canons were pointing away from us but I was wondering they may burn off their eyebrows. Everyone lived through the fun!
I am flipping through the channels trying to watch some TV before bed and have back round noise while I am typing. You know what I find… the CMU vs Ball State Football Game! When I left them in the 2nd CMU was up 7-0! I will have to check online to see who won! For you CMU fans… who is the Browne (Number 27) cat? He is all over the field and his name was said like 15 times in 5 minutes...
Off to Bed I Go...
No comments:
Post a Comment