I was thinking back to my days as a student in Elementary School and how I would celebrate Easter and I did my best to recreate that moment! The students don’t get to camp on time, which is fine, but I hate to start an activity as people are still showing up. We spent the first half an hour or so just coloring some Easter pictures and chatting it up! Then the FUN will begin!
Before all of that, again there was another GLOURIOUS surprise! I thought I was going to be by myself which caused a little anxiety in my heart! I found out the night before as I was hard boiling 30 eggs, making about 3 dozen cookies, making a birthday cake, preparing the prizes for the hunt, and painting the ‘Easter grass,’ that a PCV could help me because her schedule cleared up! Amazing! Simply Amazing!
Where was I before that side bar! Yes, the FUN! We started off by dying Easter Eggs! Now, we did not have any fancy little kit, with fancy little tools to make the eggs look pretty but rather we had good old fancy tin containers, a little vinegar, rubber gloves and some food color! I did not let the students dye them in fear of the mess it might cause (Yes, I know I am NO FUN!)! About 5 out of the 25 students had dyed Easter eggs before so it was a big treat! They dyed their eggs then placed it in the ‘basket’ they had made the day before!
After that, I had the student split up into two groups, young and old because I did not want the older students to over take the younger students in the hunt! While the younger students were doing their hunt, the older students were playing ‘Bunny BINGO’ with the other PCV!
It was a RIOT to watch the excitement in the younger students’ (5-8 years) eyes as they were about to search for all of the eggs, it just warmed my heart! They all had to find three eggs and than a ‘special egg’ if they could find it! The special egg was the decorated eggs; with a special egg you got a special prize! Once the little ones were done with their hunt, they were precious, with many, ‘Miss Miss I found a special egg’ and ‘Miss can we keep our eggs!’ I softly told them, they would much rather trade their eggs in for what I had for them! The prizes, each student got a little thing of bubbles, a pack with a pencil with a neon pencil top eraser (thank you Grandma!), stickers (Thank You Mom!), a cookie, and a glow stick! (Thank You Dad!). If a student found a ‘special egg’ they received a box of crayons! (Thank You Family!) If the students said Thank You they got two extra sweets! I had made some real Kool Aid (Thank You Jennifer!)! Kool aid is EVERYWHERE on the Island, but it is a similar to a “Target Brand” and we all know, that Kool Aid brand is the best! I ask one of the younger students how the juice ones and she answers with a Kool Aid Smile “It is DELICOUS!’
Now it was time to switch! The older students (9-13) were just as excited to take on the hunt and win the prizes! But naturally, I messed up with Math a little and there were not enough eggs for the students to find! It was still as funny because they are running around trying to find the eggs and they have nowhere to be found! Mid-Way through I hide some more eggs so they could all find their three and a special one! One of the older students came up to me as I went out there and grabbed my hand and in pure desperation said “Miss, where are the Eggs! Help Me Miss!” My honest answer was, “I don’t know, I don’t remember where I put them!”
Overall, I could not have asked for a better camp! Round 2 of camps always goes better than round 1! I was more prepared and had the supplies! I had amazing help and the students just enjoyed the moments!
What topped of the day was, when of the young girls asked me when we were cleaning up, “Miss when is the Party?” I told her with a smile on my face, “we just had a 2 hour party hunny!’
1 comment:
Sounds like the Egg hunt was a success!!!! Good job to you and all your helpers.
Post a Comment