Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Carnival




For the last two weeks or so, I have been experiencing Carnival.  Most islands in the Eastern Caribbean celebrate Carnival during different times of the year and in different ways.  Since Antigua has a larger population they are able to have more events leading up to the actually 2 days of Carnival.  There are various competitions including, Pageants, Calypso concerts, Soca artist competing, children parades, and Steel Pan competition.  Needless to say, I have been falling asleep to the sound of music and people for the last weeks and that makes my soul smile. 

I was excited to find out I was coming to Antigua at the start of Carnival time.  There is an amazing positive vibe and energy that fill the streets.  It a way for individuals to come together, celebrate the island they call home, and express themselves in a artful manner (Music, Floats, Dancing).  People come down from all parts of the island to experience Carnival.  There are vendors after vendors selling local foods, snacks, and little toys for the children. 

Also, there is an opening parade just for children.  I went down there to watch it on an extremely hot day and enjoyed myself.  It was a day strictly for children.  To allow them to show off their skills in cheerleading and dance. A day for them to dress in their Carnival Costumes and parade around the streets of the Capital.  A day for them to have their few minutes of fame on the big carnival stage, and a day all about them.  It was refreshing to be there for that event! 

No comments: