Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Human Trafficking Workshop

View from Workshop
Two weeks ago, myself and two other members from Women Against Rape (WAR) went to a two day workshop on Human Trafficking.  The workshop was extremely interesting, frustrating, and made me grateful for the services that are available in the States for individuals who are being trafficked.
Receiving my book and award

At the workshop there were individuals from Immigration, Gender Affairs, nurses from health centers and the hospital, as well as other non-government agencies.  I learned a lot about the services the other agencies provide and who to contact if I recognize an individual may be trafficked.

The workshop group
The Ladies of WAR

Individuals are trafficked to Antigua mostly from the Dominican Republic and Jamaica.  They are trafficked to usually dance at a strip club or work as a sex worker.  Sometimes the individuals (both males and females) know the exceptions they will need to meet when they get to Antigua.  Other times, they are told they will make a lot of money and only have to dance.  Then when they get to Antigua, they realize they are actually in great debt with the individual who brought them down, their passport is taken away (limiting movement) and they will have to perform sex work.  It is an endless cycle.

I left the workshop with a great wealth of information a long with many questions I must sort out with in my self.  I have found myself in this position many times since I have been working with sex workers. 

No comments: