Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Kind Hearts!



Granted I have only been alive for about 26 and half years but I have lived a full 26 years with many experiences and have met many individuals a long the way. One of the lessons I have learned is individuals have all different ways of showing they care and are concerned for you.  Some are more direct while others are through simple gestures of kindness but it is shown one way or another.

Today, I was brought to teary eyes as I first witnessed the simple gestures of the individuals in my life. There is a storm coming through the island (no need to worry!).  Tropical Storm Issac will hopefully behave himself and Mother Nature will take care of her sweet islands.  Anyways, what brought me to tears were the individuals who continue to check in on me today.  From about 10A I have had simple text asking "All's Well?" with a few follow-up e-mails asking me how my street was doing. I told my landlord's son how helpful he was and he simply answer, "Well I am always here!" I have had outreach volunteers who I work with call me to make sure I was safe and had my little items.  The same volunteer told me she would call me when the storm hit to make sure I am OK! I know I can go hang out with my landlord's sons and their friends if I do not want to be by myself or run up the road to my friend's house.  

What brought tears to my eyes was the overwhelming concern and support I received from individuals who I did not think I had that kind of relationship with.  Tears came to my eyes because I was on their "list" of individuals to check-in with.  I am blessed and grateful for these individuals in my life and for moments of feeling supported and cared for even in a new home. 

Never forget how important it may make an individual feel by offering a simple gesture of kindness their way or calling to say Hello and Check-In! 

No comments: