Sunday, August 9, 2009

Feeling Alive (Part 1 of 2)

As I sit in front of my laptop, hearing my next door neighbors TV, a man somewhere in the general area of outside, and two lovely women laughing as they pass on the street. I sit in calmness with a tummy full of mashed potatoes and corn and a mind full of thoughts.
There are numerous moments in life that simply make you feel alive again. It is a direct moment that recharges your batteries and make taking on the world just one last time a little easier. These moments come in different shapes and sizes. At times they are life uttering moments and other times it is a simple smile from a stranger that makes an individual think, “Yes, I can make it through the day.” In whatever way these moments appear to an individual they should take them and run to seize every last moment out of it.
I have been in a slight slump for about a week. Nothing to big or nothing I cannot get myself out with no sweat. Different elements put me in a little, slump of a mood until I had TWO of those feel a live moments and event. The moment made me recharge my batteries and again I was ready to take on the world, or my amazing journey one more time.
After long awaiting process, I was giving the opportunity to play volleyball. As previous mentioned, I have the ability to play three days a week for about 2 hours. It is always a race against the sunset since it is an outdoor “sport court” with no lights. On Wednesday, I was giving the opportunity to with the team I practice with to play against the Women’s National Team. I was the setter for my team. The first game like normal, it was me and the boys. I simply like playing volleyball with Men, I am not sure if it because they make my sets look extra good because they have a strong and power hits or if it is because they get a little more fired up when something good happens. In recent days, I have enjoyed playing volleyball with boys or my GVSU girls! But since my GVSU girls are all around the state or in a different state I will have to settle with the boys.
It was Game Time! The game was extremely official, we had a referee, sang the Dominica National Anthem, and lined up to shake hands. The minute I stepped back onto the court my spirit came alive and I had this feeling that I was unstoppable. Everything was coming together, the boys were hitting well, and for a minute my troubles, my thoughts, my stressors, and my slump had disappeared. It was just me and the volleyball court, similar to old times. It had the same feeling for me when I would step onto the Court with my GVSU girls as we were about the Beat Down on U of M (there were BIG rivals of ours my junior and senior year). I was at peace with myself during those moments. The feeling did not disappear the minute I stepped off the court but rather it continued through my days, my batteries had been recharged, again I was ready to “Take on this Journey!” There was no big crowd, the crowd consisted of about 7 boys all under the age of 12. There was nothing for sale expect some ice pops and no admission fee. It was just my teammates and the court. The moment was not about winning or losing (even though we ended up winning in three games), it was about the feeling and the up lift of my soul. I was once again a live and ready. It is amazing, how a simply game that if you think about makes absolutely no sense what so ever but it makes all the sense in the world to be. For the time, I connected with these individuals are a greater level then friendship, for a moment we were teammates, for a moment we six strangers all trusted each other. I was a live once again!

No comments: