Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Little Moment #3



The world is truly small! People say it all the time, I have said it in the past, but being on this island makes me believe how small the world is! I was waiting to get into where I do therapy and this car pulls up! The man drives gives me a Jolly HELLO! The women sitting in the seat gives me a Hello and then ask a questions I would never of expected out of her. She says, as frank as can be, ‘Are you from Michigan?’ A little side bar, I have met about 10 people who know where Michigan is and about another 5 who have traveled/lived to Michigan, so for someone to ask me about Michigan is VERY rare. There is a large Dominican/Caribbean population in the New York, New Jersey, Florida areas, NOT Michigan!

Delighted she asked me about Michigan, I tell her yes, explain that I grow up on the East Side and went to school on the West Side. She ask what school, I tell her Grand Valley University (Go Lakers!), and she says, “I teach some classes there in Special Education, and have a degree in counseling!

Also excited to have a little connection of home, she made my day!

1 comment:

gjmj4 said...

Did she recognize you from GVSU?