Over the first of August, I went to Martinique to play three on three grass volleyball. There were two men and one female on each team. There were a total of about 20 teams there. Martinique is about a 1.5 hour ferry ride from Dominica. Let’s just say, Michelle does not have sea legs and will no longer be taking the ferry without a little motion sickness medicine! It is a French speaking country; one will find lots of pastries, breads, teas, crepes, ICE CREAM, a mall, a Grocery Store and wonderful shopping. The country is very development since France takes care of them. There is even a McDonalds! I hate to say this but I did get some French Fries from McDonalds, they were REALLY good!
Back to why I went! Each year this town in Port de Pierre has a festival. The Dominica National Team has a connection with the town. Dominica took 8 individuals over there (4 women and 4 men) to play in their volleyball tournament which took place on Sunday. We did not stay in an hotel but rather with a family. My host mom’s name was Carol, she was very sweet, could speak English, and made AMAZING cocoa tea which I enjoyed every morning! I stayed there with one other teammate, and then the other 2 females stayed at a house, and the four men stayed at another house. The meeting point was Joule’s House, where we would have our meals on her porch, gathered to leave, and just sit and hang out.
Beside playing volleyball we went to their outdoor celebration the two nights we were there, to town to shop before we left on Monday, to a beach party, a fashion show on the beach, and to a distillery where they make their local beer.
Over all it was a GREAT three days! I feel so lucky and blessed to be given this opportunity. NEVER in a million years would I of thought that I would leave one island to go to another for the weekend. I have had so many opportunities and experiences because on January 2nd, 2008, I decided to take a ‘leap of faith,’ fill out more paperwork then I have ever done before, have interviews and interviews, have appointments, run around the city of Grand Rapids as my mother was running around the Metro area for me, be told I was not going anymore, and finally sign up for the Peace Corps!
No comments:
Post a Comment