Well... where do I begin. While I am typing this my pictures are uploading so you all will be able to see what I am calling home for the next two year.
I made to Dominica safe and sound after two flights from St. Lucia. I arrived this Monday at about 6:00PM where I was greeted by my Host Mother and a BIG Hug!! My host mother and her two daughters are simply a delight and a blessing to have around. My host mother is very active in the community and knows almost everyone which will be very helpful when I start working on my different projects with the Youth of Dominica. I have my own bedroom and my private bath room. It is a very nice home. Every evening my host family so patiently lets me cook with her so I can learn how to cook the local food and the other day we went to her friends home to pick fresh grapefruits from her tree. Today on my way home from the gym (I will tell you more about that later)- there was a man selling Coconuts right out of the back of his truck, us girls all got one. First you drink the juice and then you give it back to him so he can cut it again and you can eat the inside. They are not brown and hairy like in the States but rather a yellow/green color on the outside but still white in the inside. My host mother kindly paid for a time membership so I go with her two daughters. It is a lot of fun- it is on the third floor of a building and is just a one room weight room where a lot of the same people come everyday.
Today I went to meet the individuals that I will be working with for the next two years. It is an agency that works with the youth of Dominica all across the island. There is only two women who work in the agency. I will be working on various activities such as World Youth Service Day, A Leadership conferences (where I will be speaking about active listening and empathy). There is a handful of other activities that I cannot think of at the moment- such as a walk for awareness and a Book Club.
I am truly enjoying myself. I live in the rain forest on top of a mountain. City girl is in the mountains and loving it. It rains almost everyday at my host family home- even though we are in the dry season at the moment. There is a rainbow frequently (a few times a week). I have to take a picture of it the next time I see it. I am also surrounded around naturally untouched beauty that I hope I do not take advantage of.
I think that is it- enjoy the pictures on the next post- if you have any questions just e-mail me or e-mail me to say Hello. Hope all is well with everyone!!
Love and Miss Each and Everyone of you!
M
1 comment:
I'm SO glad that you love your home. It sounds like you're going to be a busy busy girl =)
Who expected anything other than that tho?
Post a Comment