Monday, June 15, 2009

Book Drive!




Hello Everyone!

By now most of you know what I am doing in the Peace Corps, but for those who may not, I will give you a little overview.I am currently working at the National Youth Council of Dominica, which works with all of the Youth throughout the island. This Council focuses on various topics but one of the major areas is literacy.

In collaboration with Keira's Book Club, this is a book club that has been organized by a young girl, Keira. She collected books in the United States and sent the books to Dominica to help rebuild school libraries and engage children in reading and in the arts.

I am calling on ALL of you, all of my nearest and dearest, to assist in engaging children in literacy and creativity by offering the youth books to read, it is as simple as that. The way we can all participate in this worthwhile cause inexpensively is to possibly take advantage of Garage Sale Season in the States and pick up some books that target children between the ages of 3 and 18.

If you are able to assist in the book drive, all you would have to do is drop the books off at my parents house and they will ship them off to me in Dominica. Please e-mail me and I will be happy to give you directions. I do not want to put their information out there for the world to see. My Parents would need the books by the beginning of August, so the children could have them by the beginning of the School Year.

From the BOTTOM of my HEART, I THANK YOU for not only supporting me but most importantly supporting the Children of Dominica that may not otherwise have the opportunity to be exposed to books if it was not for your giving hearts.

1 comment:

DelroyNesta said...

Thanks nicole for promoting the NYC's book club. We have already launched the club among five primary schools and intend to double that in september so we really need alot more books. Looking forward to the support

Delroy
Le President
Consiel National de la Jeunesse