Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Joys of 6/18

I am way far behind on my Joys but I will do my best to catch all of you up on my past week. You will all have to wait a few days for pictures because they are not on the computer I am using right now.

Today was a "Christmas in June" day for me. It is amazing the selfless souls I experience everyday while I am in Dominica. The simple gestures of kindness I witness and partake in every moment make me believe in the good souls of people again, it is hard not to. I have been in Dominica for about four months now (crazy to think because I can still remember the last night I was at my parents house watching the Oscars or the Grammy, hanging out with my sister and waking up BEFORE the SUN and getting to the airport BEFORE the SUN), it is an amazing experience of integrating into a community that welcomed me with open arms and open hearts. I am lucky enough to have two different communities that I am involved in, I am fortunate enough to get a double dose of kindness and giving.

The day started off with a GREAT day at the school. Many hugs and love from all of the kids that had to take their test today. For each class they take a test in each subject to determine if they are ready to move onto the next Grade or not. It is not a standardized test but rather a test each teacher creates separately. I spent most of my time typing out the different Test for each grade to assist the Principal and the Teachers.

I went to the Peace Corps office only to my surprise to see a CARD (Finally it got to me Grandma- it made me smile what you wrote in because it was about SNOW), A Postcard (One of Comerica Park from my Bestest) and a PINK SLIP! (By now I hope you ALL know what that means but if not it means there is a PACKAGE waiting for me at the Post Office). I received some surprise items from my Parents- THANK YOU! The water balloons came in handed already when I was attempting to entertain PreSchool students that were waiting for the bus with me.

My Biggest Joy happened after all of that. The other week, I went to my old Village to Check some of the children and visit my favorite shop and my favorite little lady. While I was there the Shop Owner, was peelings something small- my curiosity moved me right over to where she was in wonder mint. She was peeling Coffee Beans, EXCITING, to see the whole process of how to make coffee. As I was helping her she informed me that she was making/roasting coffee. So today, I checked her again to see 11 ounces of fresh grown, picked and freshly roasted DOMINICA coffee just for me. I am use to instant so I do not have a coffee maker. I was telling her about that and before I knew it there was a coffee making sitting in front of me because she does not use it anymore. What an amazing individual without even thinking she had giving me her coffee making. Needless to say I was extremely excited/grateful and enjoy the Coffee Very MUCH!!

Joys of 6/18
1. Fresh Coffee
2. Coffee Maker
3. My Students at the School
4. Cards and Packages from my nearest and dearest!
5. Goodies from another Peace Corps Volunteer
6. Being able to Laugh when I MELT my spoon while trying to make a dessert, then see my stove slightly smoking when I try to save my burnt dessert- At the end of that mess, I had laughed off A LOT of calories, ruined a spoon and a cookie sheet! :o)

No comments: