December 25, 2009- Christmas Day with a little or a lot of a Dominican Twist! I was in Roseau for Christmas Day staying by a friend of mine! Honestly it was crazy to wake on Christmas Day and not run to the living room to see if Santa made it to my house, to open gifts with my sister and now Andrew and Austin. To wear those silly hats mom loved! It was weird to be sweating wearing shorts and a t-shirt in December. Everything that was Christmas for me was not there. No cold weather, no family, no presents under the Christmas Tree, no Christmas Tree, no coffee that Dad made! Nothing that for the past 22 Christmas was there for me! Yes it was hard, and in true Michelle, Christmas fashion, I had a “Michelle Frustration Moment,” that I got over a lot quicker then I normally do!
My Christmas day went a little like this! After waking up and eating breakfast, we just hung out around the house watching TV and what not! I was getting antsy so I went for a walk! There happened to be a Cruise Ship on the Bayfront, so I decided to head that way! I spent most of my Morning, hanging out on the Bayfront, watching people, the sea, and just pondering about life! In a million years I would of never thought I would on an island that I called home, in the sunshine, with my feet in the water on Christmas Day! Once I got back, I found out our plans had got cancelled so it was time for Plan B or C! We went over our friends house who was having family over for Christmas! She has an amazing house, with a beautiful outdoor veranda that wraps around most of her home, with amazing company, great food, and a great view! Our lunch was very similar to a Thanksgiving dinner! There was Turkey, Ham, Lamb, Hummus, Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows, Green Beans, and for desert there was even those ‘Sugar Cookies that come in a tube that you cute apart with a christmas 'stamp' on the front of them!’ Amazing, it was a taste of home! The host of the party is dating a gentleman who lived in Michigan! Not only Michigan, but in TROY! What a small world even in the island!
Christmas in Dominica is all about Friends and Family! Going from one home to the next, drinking some juice, eating some food, but most importantly just spending quality time with individuals who you love and care about! At the end of all it that is the most important factor is to surround yourself with individuals who love and care about you!!
No comments:
Post a Comment