‘Every Step is ONE Step Closer!’ Coach Scott Wooster told me that one day when I was in High School running during Track Practice! More then likely I looked like I wanted to die and stop but as he told me that I pushed just a little harder and finished the work out!
On Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 8 crazy souls decided we wanted to accomplish and finish one of the hardest hikes in Dominica! Boiling Lake! Boiling Lake is a 5 mile hike each way with about 15,000 STEPS!! It is fine to re-read it, I did say FIFTEEN HUNDRED STEPS!!! We are talking up hill, down hill, smooth, narrow! Yes some moments I wanted to die, I wanted to stop, I did not want to finish! I did not think I could climb one more step, cross one more river, or put my foot in front of the other just one last time. As you are hiking, you must finish, there is no helicopter circling the area to pick up tired walkers, nobody will carry you on their back when you are tired, it is YOU and only YOU!! The hike takes about 6 to 8 hours to complete! The irony of it all is once you get to this LARGE LAKE that is boiling, in the back of your head you are thinking, I have to get back, and I have another 3 hours to go! One I had it and our guard said “Welcome to Boiling Lake,’ my face light up with such great pride and sense of accomplishment as the guard gave me a knock!
We did, all eight of us finished! We achieved our task, we can cross off one more thing off our ‘To Do’ list! We laughed, we shared moments, we have memories to hold onto from the hike! Many are not even prove enough to take that first step of the Hike but we took all 15,000 and made be a little sore, but together we did it! Together, we accomplished one more thing on this journey! Together we proved one more time we are truly pretty Bad Ass!
Click HERE for picture!
2 comments:
Fifteen THOUSAND steps
not Fifteen HUNDRED right?? GREAT JOB!!
wish i coulda been there! leave it to mom to spell check for you :)
Post a Comment