Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Eve



This day is HUGE in Dominica! All of the stores in the capital, Roseau, are open MUCH later then usually, till about 10:00PM! There are people BBQ on the corners, liming with friends, doing LAST minute shopping and just taking in the hype of Christmas Eve! Many individuals that live in the country and do not come into town often are in town for Christmas Eve, the streets are packed with the young, the old, and every in between. For the first time during the whole Christmas Season, I felt the hustle and bustle of the holiday season! There was almost a sense of panic to finish their shopping, meeting with friends, and just enjoy themselves. Town was ALIVE, it was marvelous!



Naturally, I had to be in that scene! I went down around 8:00PM just to check it out but did not have anything to buy! I ran into some friends of mine, got some AMAZING BBQ chicken from the mother of some students from my Library Camp and just walked the streets of Roseau. It was crazy to see all of these Dominicans in one place, almost a little overwhelming! It was good to see the country celebrating Christmas because with the Elections and what not, people were more focused on Elections then on Christmas, so it was simply great to see Christmas being celebrated!



Of course, I missed the traditions I am use to on Christmas Eve of going to church then getting dinner with Grandpa or our newest tradition of going to the Christmas Store, the Holt’s Church/House then back home. It makes me thrilled that Austin is getting to experience and start his own traditions because being a way I have a more appreciation for the traditions my parents had have with us as children into adulthood! It is what gives the holidays a special twist and treat to them. It makes the holidays memorable!

+ The Pictures are from what I was doing the Day BEFORE Christmas Eve! Don't be jealous that I was in the sun/sand instead of shoveling snow! +

No comments: