Saturday, March 20, 2010

I hope this duct taped rope can hold me up!

Yes, that was the thought going through my head as I was embarking on this amazing journey, with legs trembling, and hands shaking to see a waterfall, which falls directly into the Atlantic Ocean.

A little back round story. A fellow PCV Alicia, her brother and his girlfriend came to visit for the week and rented a car. When coming to Dominica it is KEY to rent a car if you want to go to the really cool hikes, waterfalls, etc because everything is VERY hard to get to and transportation to those areas do not run at all or it is very limited! We all hopped into the car to visit another PCV Judy, who has MORE energy then my entire group combined and she is a fifty plus volunteer! Basically she is a celebrity in her village and has done amazing work with the children, the adults, built a disaster shelter, and turtles (she LOVES her turtles!) Her village is located on the East Coast about an hour away from town!



Before we began our hiking, we stopped at her friends farm, walked around the farm, ate some Jellies (Coconuts), and Sugar Cane! Yummy! Then we went to her house to have a little lunch and then the journey began!



This hike is not a long hike but it is on the dangerous side! One at a time with Judy leading the way, we were going down the side of a cliff holding onto ropes, roots, and anything else we could grip onto. The ones that read this and know me, know I am not a very brave and adventurous girl (even though I love the thrill, I do not put up a fearless front!) There were moments I thought to myself if I slip, I will fall of this ladder and die, and it was as simple as that! Needless to say, we all made it safely with only a few little scraps!



The end was AMAZING! As I approached the beach I looked over to this breathtaking waterfall that was falling onto the beach! Because of the drought, the change of tide, and basically Mother Nature; it was different then it had been in the past. Usually one must climb on some rocks to get to the waterfall and have to go into the ocean but this time, it was just falling right onto the beach and when I was under the waterfall it felt like the perfect shower head presser!



After playing in the waterfall and the ocean it was time to go to the river! Nothing with Judy is easy and everything is an adventure! The river was the same! The river was made of about 10+ different pools with a little waterfall separating the pools. We climbed each littler waterfall to get to the next! After we all got use to the cold water, it was very refreshing and I enjoyed every moment of it!

1 comment:

gjmj4 said...

thank you, thank you, thank you for not telling me about your adventure BEFORE it actually happened!! As a psycho mom that i am I would have lost a lot of sleep over this one. Glad it all turned out so well!!! love you lots and lots, mom xoxoxo