Monday, March 22, 2010

My FIRST Visitor!

Visitors are SUCH a blast especially when you have never met them before until that day! Yes, a little explaining must be done!

One day, I was looking through my comments and noticed one from an individual I had not seen before! It said something a long the lines of, I am a past Peace Corps volunteer, here is my blog, and my wife and I are coming to Dominica on a Cruise, let’s meet up! Yes, my fun little blog, which I enjoy to do, has introduced me to, two spectacular individuals; Joel and Sara!

I am just thrilled to have them and show them around the ‘Real’ Dominica and not just what tourist will see! Joel had his Peace Corps hat on and I spotted them after a few minutes and our adventure began! We went to the office, showed them around, they brought me some goodies! Joel works at a Hardware Store and brought me some VERY interesting items that will test my creative and craft ability, but Joel don’t worry pictures will soon be coming of the finished crafts! ;)

After that, my amazing Host Mother came to town to pick us up and I was able to take them to my village to show them my home, the Garden my Landlord owns, and the beautifully peaceful Catholic Retreat Area in my village. Later did I find out Sara worked part-time at a floral shop! My village was perfect for them!

In my eyes the best part was one I could introduce my two new friends to my Pre-School students! Today was my reading program day and I invited Joel and Sara (both retired Teachers) to read to my students! It worked out well because the Primary School students were not there, so Joel, Sara, and I read to the students and it went so well! It made my soul smile seeing Joel and Sara read to them, Sara taught the students a song, and Joel was doing all sorts of fun little hand movements and gestures with his group! Naturally, after the hard work with the students, the heat, it was time for lunch! I took them to my Favorite Restaurant, Cold Pot, and we all enjoyed a GREAT traditional Creole Lunch together! A great way to end an excellent day!

Even though they read my blog, it was MARVOLOUS to show them, a normal life in the shoes of Michelle! I got to introduce them to the most important individual in my life on island, my Host Mother! I was also able to share the joy the pre-schoolers give me with two other individuals! I hope they enjoyed their time here as much as I enjoyed showing them around!

2 comments:

gjmj4 said...

Wow, it sounds like it was an amazing day for everyone!!! Glad it went so well. Love and miss you lots, mom xoxox

Joel Robbins said...

Michelle, my wife asked me which island was my favorite, and, although I had hiked up to Seven Sisters Falls in Grenada and swum in the beautiufl pools and viewed the fish and ship wrecks off Aruba, I told her Michelle's island, because you gave us a real experience (Shirley, Rafael, school kids and real food). Loved it.
Thanks for a great day.
Joel