Saturday, March 14, 2009

It is Baking Time...

Today was such an AMAZING day! The morning started with me running about 15 mins late (which is not a big surprise) but the plans were nothing set in stone. My host mom, Shirley and I went for a watch throughout the village. We first stop at a woman by the name of Tete. Tete is from Liberia and now lives in an amazing house over looking the city and the water in Dominica. She is marriage to a man who was part of the second group of individuals set to out of the country for the PEACE CORPS!! He was group number 2. I am group number 79 which means 79 groups have been sent to Dominica alone.

And then we walked to a local villager with a unbelievable green thumb and he is he the local Gardner. He was not around but we walked through his garden anyways. After that we stopped by a man who does local wood work. My village is full of artist individuals.



Then it was BAKING TIME!! I set up and measured all of the ingredients for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies just like I use to make at home. Five of the local girls and myself were going to make cookies. The children ranged from 5 years old to 11 years old. I told them I would be done to pick them up (they just live down the road) at 2:00PM. I got there at 2:00PM and they were not ready so I just told them to come up to my Host Mother's house when they were ready. Anyways... we just had a BLAST making cookies. The girls were soo excited to be able to help, mix in the ingredients, and stir them all together. They do not get to bake a lot so it was a true treat for them. So we made about 5 dozen cookies which they LOVED and took some home for their mother and oldest sister (14 years old). Then we had lunch together! I went back down to the spring with the help of the girls. We went on a little adventure on the way up when we were trying to take a short cut through the forest. I did a little hiking :o). The girls and myself had such a BLAST this afternoon. It was a great Saturday!




These are the girls I was baking with. The second picture is of is some of the girls and my Host Mother!

1 comment:

gjmj4 said...

Glad your baking went well with the girls!!! St. Patrick's Dinner just wasn't the same without you Sammy says your fish is adjusting well to its new temporary home. Love and miss you lots, Mom xoxo