Hello Everyone!
I am glad to be back in the Blog World with all of my faithful fans! I just got back from a Training in St. Lucia and Spent hours in the Airport and decided while I was there, if I was a skilled writer I would write about all of the different people one can find in a airport. You know, the kid that is crying, and everyone is thinking "Please DO NOT let that kid be on my flight." The Honeymooners that are so sickly in love. The business man that rarely look up from their laptops. The families and the young cats! While you are waiting for hours it is fun to make up little stories about their life, where and why they are going, and what is going through their heads. Now, I realize there could be someone at the other side of the airport, or next to me thinking the same thing about me. But anyways, if I wrote this book one of my chapters would be about the man I am about to introduce.
As I was carrying around my bag that kept getting larger and larger as more security guards careless went through my bag, looking for I am not sure what, and not placing things back where they were. I find myself a solid seat at the airport, while I waited for my plane that is "30 minutes" late. With the Caribbean Airlines, 30 Minutes could turn into hours or the next day, one is never too sure. I find myself a comfy little spot take off my shoes and start eating my muffin. As I look up I cannot help but notice this Dear of a Man. I politely say Hello, just to find out his English is not the best and he is from Greece. In the best of his ability he attempts to ask me where I am going. I tell him Dominica and now I am sitting next to him instead of across from him. Beside the language barrier, there is also a hearing barrier as while. I try to ask him the same question, after a few different attempts with different word choices, I learn he is going to St. Kitts, Gulaopoe, and Dominica. Then he walks away for a moment only to come back and same "Want Coffee, Umm... Umm... I pay for your Coffee." Even though it is 90 degrees, and I will be boarding at any moment, I cannot refuse this cup of coffee. When he comes back naturally, he asked for my address, so he can find me when he gets to Dominica. He does not have a phone, he will find me instead. At this moment, I learn it is better to talk less and listen more. I kindly write down my address with my phone number for him. He pulls out his little date book and adds me in with the other random address he has. He gives me his, his name is Angelopoulos Athanasio, from Athens, Greece. With the address comes the questions of family that can be simply summed up in two sentences. "My wive is dead (as he motions the common motion for sleeping, hands together on the cheek and head titled) and I have son, that is my family." I asked him "How many years are you" he stated 75 and then said "Young Gal" towards me. It made me smile. At that moment, I hear over the system, my flight being called and spot a Dominican friend of mine from a far. My main man from Athens, Greece, with his tie tuck into his Khaki pants and red shoes stands up gives me a fantastic hug, kisses my cheek (like a tradition individual from Greece would) then grabs my hand and kisses that as while. We were off to different places, but I have a feeling we will meet again...
1 comment:
now, you know mom is thinking "michelle-why would you give your address and phone number to a STRANGER!" love you sis
Post a Comment