Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Camp!



The Two Week of Camp is DONE! It makes me really sad actually because Summer in my Eyes is ALL about about SUMMER DAY CAMP! It has a lot to do with the last three summers I have been working at the YCMA Day Camp (Miss You Guys!)! I was honored and thrilled knowing I would be Co-Director a Summer Day Camp for the Children of Dominica. After all of the hard work by myself, the Director (Link), the Administrative Assistant, and the Tutors! It is all worth it when a four year old says “I will miss you” as you are walking away after handing her over to her father. When I see the children faces when they are singing a long to Hannah Montana or Triple K (A Local Band in Dominica) or when the children are running around, laughing, enjoying themselves. To see the Tutors jump in the Rounders Game and their faces light up when their team is doing well! Those little moments are the moments that make me forget the times I was ready to pull out my hair! :o) Which I really never got to that point but you all understand what I am saying!



A brief description of the camp goes as following! Our Goal was 45 students and the camp graduated 75 students on Friday! It was amazing to have such an amazing response from parents and guardians to send their children to camp with us. Our focus was on “Arts and Expressions; Changing Lives.” As a team wanted to focus on arts and crafts, poems, drama, and other other way the children could expression what was going on in their heads.

Arts We Did!
 Made Paper Plate Tambourines
 Nature Frames (From Items we went on a Scavenger Hunt for the day before in the Gardens)
 Candle Holders onto of Glass Bottles,Tissue Paper, Magazine Clippings
 As a camp we all collected CLEAN trash such as Cereal boxes, Plastic Bottles, Egg Cartons, Bottle Taps, other Boxes, Shampoo Containers, etc- we used all of those items plus a little glue, tap and paint to make craft projects
 We colored our souls away and drew enough pictures to cover all of the fridges in Dominica!
 TIE-DYE!
 Tornadoes out of Plastic Bottles

Presentations We Had!
 One all about the WILD LIFE of Dominica
 We Learned About The Fish and other Animals in the Deep Blue Sea
 Conflict Resolutions
 French and Spanish
 Poetry Presentation by Students from Blackburn College in England!

Sports We Played!
 Capture the Flag
 Rounders
 Cricket
 Rabbit in the Hole
 Tag!
 Skipping (Jumping Rope)
 Made up the games the Children Discovered on their own!
 Hot Potato



Field Trips!
 The library
 DBS Radio- Where the students were on the Radio! (Dominica Broadcasting Station)
 SAT Television- I Do not know what SAT Stands for (A little help from anyone that knows would be helpful) but it is the Local News Stations Like ABC, NBS and Fox!
 Benjoy Seamoss (It is a local bottle and drink distribution center where we got FREE SAMPLS- A lot of their drinks are made with Milk so they are Nice)

Others Things We Did!
 Made Rice Crispy Treats
 Sang Songs
 Ran, Jumped and Played!
 Went on a Scavenger and Trivia Hunt in the Gardens
 We Had SNACK! (Every day at 10:30 was Snack Time and Man if we were a minute or two late I had some not so happy students!)
 We Finished the Week of by Showing off our TALENTS!

2 comments:

DelroyNesta said...

SAT TV is short for Satellite TV, lol.

gjmj4 said...

Sounds like everyone had lots and lots of fun at camp!!!!