Sunday, July 5, 2009

This Is Life....



Everyday life in Dominica is full of amazing, funny and unexpected moments that make me laugh out loud and just look at my life and smile. These moments remind me that I am on an island and I cannot run to Meijer when an issues comes up. I have found the longer I am in Dominica, the more I take a moment to smile at situations. There is no sense of panic because issues/concerns cannot be fixed as quickly as they can in the States, it is just a fact of life.

Let me paint you a beautiful picture of the event that made me smile from ear to ear. Today I had a Fourth of July Party (See Pictures on tomorrow Blog), it went FANASTIC! It was not as amazing as the days of going up north, fighting for candy at the parade, Dad yelling “Get it in the Hat” and Grandma giving us all bags to decorate to hold the candy. Or the Moments of two males (that will remain nameless- but I KNOW you know who you are) that would throw snappers that the walking by individuals while we were all waiting for the fireworks to start and the amazing ice cream we would fill ourselves up with. It went well- the girls enjoyed the food and the S mores we made.

Anyways, I am going to the river on Saturday so these girls were going to check me to make the pizza and the cake. But before they came over this thirteen year old boy came over and he simply CRACKED me up! He should be a stand up comedian. He has just a simply honesty to his voice, facial expressions to die for, and voices to make you smile ear to ear. We will hanging out on my porch simply enjoying life.

Then the girls come over, we first make an amazing cake and then we made a pizza. The cake finished, I took it out and replaced it with the pizza to cook for tomorrow. I am just hanging out and go to check on the pizza. When I check on the pizza I notice that the flame is no longer on. I was first checking, “I just ran out of Gas at 10:30PM at night- there is nothing I can do about this one.” I check the top burner just to find out the flame is not going on either- MY GAS IS OUT! Without even thinking, I take my half finished pizza upstairs (on top of all of this it is raining) to my Landlord in hopes she would finish cooking it for me. Her Gas is also about to finish, so as I am typing this there is a half finished pizza in my fridge that may get cooked tomorrow. I called one of my bus driver friends who told me, he will help me in the morning and get me gas tomorrow in Town. I am Thankful for my amazing bus drivers who are always looking out for me and the other individuals of my village.


This is life, the lovely life I live and enjoy. I find each day little things change about me and I notice things about my self I enjoy and other characteristics I need to improve on. There was no panic in the situation, no stress, no urgency. There are less times I have to say to myself "Every will work out or it will be OK" This situation is simply, but it is truly out of my hands, at 10:30PM at night that is not a single things I could do. Tomorrow, there might not be any Gas in town (was there Gas in town- that is the question?) but why worry because we will cross that bridge when I get there. I am working on taking a more relaxed view on life and situations. Do not get me wrong, I still worry my little self but it is getting better. A dear friend of mine in Dominica told me something simply, “We will just take one day at a time.” I have been told that on numerous different occasions but it holds another meaning in Dominica. I truly have to take one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Things change too quickly and are too random to plan to far in advance. It is one amazing, unexpected, random, and beautiful journey I am on at the moment. I am learning the true meaning of rolling with the punches, taking a day at a time, and smiling when God is teaching his lessons.

No comments: