Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Sweet Mema

There is this sweet lady, that I am going to call Mema. Mema is somewhere in her early 80s. She is not sure what month or date she is born but she knows she was born in 1906. I met my Mema at Church one lovely Sunday. She is a beautiful lady that walks with a stick and lives off the kind souls of random individuals, a small amount from the government, and the faith she has in God who will supply all needs to her. She lives in a small one room house, that is lite by candle light, no fridge, a small table top stove, two “bag” chairs as furniture, and a beautiful alter she prays at.

I went and saw her the other day and she simply brightens my day. She always grabs my hand and places it to her cheek. She was in high spirits when I saw her, he face light up as I walked up to her home. As she invited me in to her home, she said “I have been praying for you, your mom, your dad, and your whole family.” Before I am sitting she offers me Coffee as she always does, but I kindly declined, as I always do. I have a seat and we start chatting. I could spend all day with her, simply chatting about topics of nothing to important but the moments shared are greater then any topic of conversation. She tells me because I work for the government, I need to call them and tell them about Ms. Mema and when I tell them about her they will listen. I try to calming and patiently tell her just because I work for the government does not mean I have any connections that may help her. Instead, I humor the idea for her.

She does not have much if anything but she as this strong powerful faith in God and how he will provide every need she has. Her trust in God is amazing to witness, she is not looking for much, just some company. To hear from a women that has nothing to say “God is Good” makes you believe again. It makes an individual want to have faith that happiness does not just come from what money can buy but happiness comes from that 'something' an individual believes in.

2 comments:

gjmj4 said...

What a touching post. Give Mema a hug from me. How sweet that she prays for us. Love and miss you lots, MOM xoxo

Jen Holt said...

very sweet...just one thing, if she was born in 1906 doesnt that mean she is 103 years old? maybe i missed something!