As my alarm goes off at 2:47AM. As you reread the sentence you read it right the first time my alarm went off at 2:47AM because we had to leave the house at 3:30AM. Many of you are wondering what could possibly be going on at 4:00AM in time. Let me tell you about it... Today is Good Friday and Dominica has a strong Catholic background and takes their religious holidays extremely serious. As we arrive in town my host family points on top of the mountain and tells me we are walking to that cross- I give then a look of- OoO MY I am not sure if I can make it ALL that way. We arrive in town by 4:00AM and in Dominica fashion the event started about 30 minutes late. As about 100 hundred to 200 hundred individuals fill the street their is a Jeep with two large speakers on the top that leads the way. The speakers are shouting Religious Songs, The Rosary and Pray Scriptures. We were off. Numerous individuals came barrier candles and it was a simply beautiful scene as me and the host girls were a little ahead of the group and was able to look down and see the street light up by individuals and their candles.
Hot off the press I just asked my Host Mom the symbolic reasoning behind the walk and it is to remember the Passion of the Christ and the suffer he endured for us.
The view was magnificent because we were in town the higher we got we were able to look over the town and see the lights of the street and buildings starting to open. As we reached the TOP of the mountain the sun was just starting to come out and the cross was starting to fill with everyone candles. On top of the mountain their was a short service. By the time it was time to reach down (a much easier walk) the sun was fully out and the rain had FINALLY FULLY stopped.
Then when we ALL reached home it was in our beds we went for about a four hour nap. Today is a day of rest and relaxation with another service at 3:00PM. Until then I will enjoy some lunch, hand journal, and go hang out with the girls. Even though it was an early morning start, the view, energy, and experience in a whole was worth every bit of the struggle it was to get up this morning.
1 comment:
Wow, it sounds like it was a beutiful sight. You are becoming such a good descriptive writer I feel as though i am experiencing your adventure right along with you as I read your blog. I was thinking about St. Louise Youth Group Passion Play all day today, especially during 12 -3.
Post a Comment