Hey everyone!! I am about to give you my week all summed up in a few pictures and a handful of words! It has NOTHING to do with Apple Pie but maybe about a cake!
Monday
OoO... Man this is dipping back into the early week. I had Peace Corps Training all day with my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers. Then I went off to the gym! Came back to the house for dinner and went to bed WAY early! Kinda a mellow day!
Tuesday
Tuesday is ALWAYS School Attachment day! I went to the school for the day to assist one of the teacher. Usually while I am there I do one on one tutoring and I am in the processing of starting arts and crafts projects. The teacher was not able to make it to school that day and in Dominica they do not have "subs" so the Principal took over the classroom. The Principal had a meeting in the morning so the class and I played some Math BINGO! It was a BLAST! To see the faces of the children when they got a BINGO was PRICELESS!! And they were learning Math all at the same time! The morning went by quickly. The Grand 4,5,6 students read a play to a panal of judges regarding Cocaine. They did an EXCELLENT job naturally! In the after I went into the Kindergarten Class (Dominica schools call it Grade K) and hung out with them into the bell rang! OoO Mine they are CUTE!! I helped one of the little ones write out a paragraph she was cute and thanked me after! :o) Once school got out I ran some errands in Town and Head up to the house. I worked on some Peace Corps homework- watched the sun set into the Caribbean Sea and ate some dinner. I almost forgot I baked a CAKE today!! I have an activity on Thursday and I wanted to bring the kids treat so I baked a CAKE!!
Wednesday
Peace Corps Office Day!! Did training all day with the other Volunteers- ate some cake- got a medical shot- learned some Creole (the local language that I am STRUGGLING with)- and came up with a dream I have. "Connection through Celebration." It is based on the idea I have to have a Birthday once a month for ALL of the children in my village that have a birthday in that Month. The first one will be Easter Sunday for ALL the April Birthdays! Which brings up what I did Wednesday evening! I have to collect all of the birthdays in the village so I put on my Keens and My shorts and I was on my way. OoO Mine was that fun!! I first went down by where the girls I baked with live to catch up with them. They were not home from school yet so I hung out with there Cousin and when they saw me they came RUNNING down the drive to get me with a BIG hug!! It was GREAT to see someone so excited to see you!! Those kids were the GREATEST help! They walked around the village with me collecting birthdays and keeping me companion. The youngest one held my hand the WHOLE way- it was too cute!! And it was April Fool's day- so they were Fooling me left and right and enjoying every moment of it! :o)

Thursday!
Today is Today and it was a BIG day for me! I went and shadowed a delight of a lady that works in town with the Adult Education program. We went to a near by village to meet some people and then drink so fresh coconut water and see showed me where cocoa comes from to make all of our fantastic candy bars. (see picture of yellow fruit below). The seeds you use are inside the fruit. Then I head back to the school and went back into the Grade K classroom. I was picking out books and one of the students asked me to read the book so I started reading the book and before I knew it the WHOLE class was in a tight little circle around me listening and looking at the pictures.
After that was my BIG activity day. For the Peace Corps I had to do a Service Learning Project. Which is a project that a group complete and learns something from it. It is more then Volunteering because information is exchange. In front of the school I work with is a Nursery. I thought let us (the Grade 4 students) read to the Pre-K students- they are about 3 and 4 years old. After the Grade 4 students and myself had some cake and we picked out books and played Go Fish and War it was time to head over to the Nursery. The kids had just finished lunch and were excited. We got into groups of One Grade 4 student and Three Pre-K students. The Grade 4 students read for about 30 minutes and the Pre-K students were FANTASTIC!! It went better then I could of Image. Some of the Peace Corps dictetors stopped by to see how it was going. It all went all. I will taking another group over there in about 2 weeks.
That is a LONG update on my week!!Hope you can follow!! If you have any questions let me know!!
Much Love
M
1 comment:
i've missed your updates... glad that you got caught up. we really missed you on wednesday! austin loves chunky monkey so much.
Post a Comment